South African Business News
South African Business News
- City Power rules out theft and vandalism at Lotus substationon 7th Feb 2023 at 2:46 pm
Lotus substation caught fire for the second time in a year on Sunday.
- Coal miners knuckle down to find solutions to Transnet failingsby Sonri Naidoo on 7th Feb 2023 at 2:00 pm
According to the Minerals Council, logistical constraints induced by the railway’s setbacks have cost mining industry R51 billion in exports The post Coal miners knuckle down to find solutions to Transnet failings appeared first on The Mail & Guardian.
- ‘Peter Pan’ is coming to the Joburg Theatreby Lineo Leteba on 7th Feb 2023 at 2:00 pm
Theatre-maker Janice Honeyman’s reimagining of the tale is set to open in November The post ‘Peter Pan’ is coming to the Joburg Theatre appeared first on The Mail & Guardian.
- 2023 load shedding oulook remains bleak, says De Ruyteron 7th Feb 2023 at 1:52 pm
The outgoing Eskom CEO also highlighted how the private sector showed interest in energy investment.
- ConCourt hears validity of Zuma's appointment of 2 NDPPson 7th Feb 2023 at 1:19 pm
Former statesman Jacob Zuma's appointments of two directors of public prosecution were later revoked by President Cyril Ramaphosa.
- The alarming regression of Africa’s democraciesby Sonri Naidoo on 7th Feb 2023 at 12:30 pm
The serial manipulation of presidential term limits across the continent is a major concern for the African Union The post The alarming regression of Africa’s democracies appeared first on The Mail & Guardian.
- Mining crucial for job creation and economic growth, says Ramaphosaon 7th Feb 2023 at 12:08 pm
President Cyril Ramaphosa said mining revenues were critical in the delivery of services to South Africans.
- Mamelodi school under investigation for policy excluding pregnant learnerson 7th Feb 2023 at 12:02 pm
The Gauteng Department of Education announced a probe into Stanza Bopape Secondary School after it implemented a policy stating pregnant pupils had to stay home until they gave birth.
- SANBS urges SA citizens to donate blood to boost national reserveson 7th Feb 2023 at 11:31 am
The South Africa National Blood Service said it noted a decline in bloodstock across the country,
- Man's body recovered in Pretoria North's Apies River following heavy rainson 7th Feb 2023 at 11:24 am
The Tshwane Emergency Services Department said that the man was a part of a group of three men that were swept away by the river.
- Cosatu sets high expectations for Ramaphosa's Sonaon 7th Feb 2023 at 11:10 am
The trade union federation hopes the president will deliver a plan to lessen unemployment, deal with power outages as well as restore the economy.
- Multi-million rand abalone bust in Cape Townon 7th Feb 2023 at 10:30 am
The City of Cape Town said officers executing a search warrant at a premises in the Bellville area at the weekend arrested two suspects in possession of abalone and crayfish valued at about R3.2 million.
- Dear Fellow South Africans: A letter from Cyril Ramaphosa on Monday 25 Julyby Eyaaz on 7th Feb 2023 at 10:00 am
A team led by the ministers of employment and labour, trade, industry and competition, and finance have been meeting social partners to map out the priorities that must be reflected in the new social compact The post Dear Fellow South Africans: A letter from Cyril Ramaphosa on Monday 25 July appeared first on The Mail & Guardian.
- David Mabuza to attend State of the Nation address as deputy presidentby Lizeka Tandwa on 7th Feb 2023 at 9:37 am
Presidency says Mabuza is still second in command while he waits for Ramaphosa to release him with Mashatile waiting in the wings The post David Mabuza to attend State of the Nation address as deputy president appeared first on The Mail & Guardian.
- Seriti Resources: Coal plays an essential role in driving economic growthon 7th Feb 2023 at 9:05 am
Seriti Resources CEO Doug Gain said South Africa needed all the available energy sources to find a way to deal with the load shedding crisis.
- Attempted hijacking causes gridlock on London Road in Alexon 7th Feb 2023 at 8:53 am
City Power spokesperson Isaac Mangena, who was at the scene, told Eyewitness News that gunmen opened fire during the failed hijacking.
- Bromwell Street eviction: SCA rules city emergency housing not unconstitutionalon 7th Feb 2023 at 8:31 am
The Supreme Court of Appeal ruled the city had to provide temporary accommodation to Bromwell Street residents by the end of May, with the eviction date extended to the end of June.
- DA opens leadership nominations for April Federal Congresson 7th Feb 2023 at 8:26 am
In a circular to members, which Eyewitness News has seen, the party set out rules and timelines for the internal contest.
- Untu warns Prasa has one more day to honour court-ordered wage agreementon 7th Feb 2023 at 8:07 am
The announcement came after the Labour Court ordered Prasa to honour the first portion of a three-year wage agreement, that would see Untu-affiliated workers paid a 5% increase per year from 2021 until 2023.
- Earthquake kills more than 4 300 in Turkey, Syriaby Lineo Leteba on 7th Feb 2023 at 7:46 am
Over 5 600 buildings were destroyed in several cities, including many apartment blocks where residents were sleeping when the quake struck The post Earthquake kills more than 4 300 in Turkey, Syria appeared first on The Mail & Guardian.
- NSRI opens survival swimming school in KwaZulu-Natalon 7th Feb 2023 at 7:22 am
This is the NSRI's 3rd survival swimming school after it established facilities at Riebeek Kasteel in the Western Cape and at Port St Johns in the Eastern Cape.
- UPDATE - Turkiye quake: 7 S.Africans in prison that collapsed - SA ambassadoron 7th Feb 2023 at 6:06 am
The confirmed death toll soared on Tuesday with government agencies in both Turkey and Syria reporting more than 5,000 people have been killed and thousands more injured.
- Dlamini Zuma promises to take Komani residents' demands to Cabineton 7th Feb 2023 at 5:18 am
Dlamini Zuma on Monday visited Komani, where residents called for urgent intervention from national government over poor service delivery.
- Tiger Brands: Prolonged load-shedding a risk to food securityby Eyaaz on 7th Feb 2023 at 5:00 am
Tiger Brands and others in the food production chain are struggling under the rolling blackouts The post Tiger Brands: Prolonged load-shedding a risk to food security appeared first on The Mail & Guardian.
- High Cape Town home prices prompt semigration sprawlby Sonri Naidoo on 7th Feb 2023 at 5:00 am
With more people relocating to the coast, demand in the Mother City has sent prices soaring The post High Cape Town home prices prompt semigration sprawl appeared first on The Mail & Guardian.
- Failure to fix Eskom plant performance could pit society against govt - Mantasheon 7th Feb 2023 at 4:57 am
The Minister of Mineral Resources and Energy reiterated that the key focus was to stop a further decline in the country's energy availability factor.
- Mkhwebane returns to court to challenge chairperson of impeachment inquiryon 7th Feb 2023 at 4:47 am
Mkhwebane has been in court at least half a dozen times since 2020, challenging various aspects of Parliament's section 194 inquiry, which is considering her fitness to hold office.
- Probe into fatal crash caused by allegedly drunk cop almost complete: Ipidon 7th Feb 2023 at 4:45 am
It was alleged that the 38-year-old sergeant was on duty and under the influence of alcohol when he lost control of the police vehicle in Mitchells Plain in August.
- Mxolisi Dukwana heads the list of Free State ANC candidates to replace premier Ntombelaby Lizeka Tandwa on 6th Feb 2023 at 5:00 pm
Three names to be handed over to the top seven for consideration after the ANC decided to recall Sisi Ntombela The post Mxolisi Dukwana heads the list of Free State ANC candidates to replace premier Ntombela appeared first on The Mail & Guardian.
- Economists urge Ramaphosa to reshuffle Cabinet and save SAon 6th Feb 2023 at 4:43 pm
Some economists recommend that President Cyril Ramaphosa change his Cabinet if he wants to boost the country's economy.
- Eskom’s De Ruyter calls for phasing out of coal in favour of renewablesby Staff Reporter on 6th Feb 2023 at 4:30 pm
The government should support independent power producers to come online faster The post Eskom’s De Ruyter calls for phasing out of coal in favour of renewables appeared first on The Mail & Guardian.
- Turkiye and Syria earthquake: Gift of the Givers on standby to provide aidon 6th Feb 2023 at 3:53 pm
A 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck various villages and cities in both Turkiye and Syria claiming hundreds of lives.
- Ipid investigates alleged drunk cop who caused fatal road crash in CTon 6th Feb 2023 at 2:55 pm
The collision resulted in the death of a seven-year-old girl five months ago.
- Lamola underscores govt's efforts to ensure NPA's independenceon 6th Feb 2023 at 2:36 pm
Justice Minister Ronald Lamola says in order to fight corruption the National Prosecuting Authority has to work without political interference.
- SA measles outbreak: Parents urged to vaccinate children under 14 yearson 6th Feb 2023 at 2:01 pm
A nationwide measles vaccination campaign kicked off after five provinces were in the grip of the respiratory infection.
- Inside EWN Roundtable: Is water scarcity the result of poor infrastructure?on 6th Feb 2023 at 1:49 pm
In a roundtable that looked at access and infrastructure, experts discussed some of the reasoning behind South Africa's water crisis.
- WATCH: How the alien invasion of water hyacinth is choking Hartbeespoort Damon 6th Feb 2023 at 1:02 pm
For decades, Hartbeespoort Dam has been infested with the alien plant species that regenerates quicker than it can be removed - and the extent of its invasion is severe.
- PICS: Your sewage is contributing to Hartbeespoort Dam's alien hyacinth invasionon 6th Feb 2023 at 12:37 pm
The Water and Sanitation Department says one of its main priorities this year is to tackle the water quality at Hartbeespoort Dam that has been affected by the hyacinth plant.
- Load shedding costs SA's economy R1bn per day, says Mantasheon 6th Feb 2023 at 11:33 am
Mantashe thrust the country's power outages into the limelight at the 2023 Investing in African Mining Indaba in Cape Town.
- Untu threatens further legal action against Prasa for oustanding staff salarieson 6th Feb 2023 at 11:26 am
Even though Prasa approached the Untu leaders for a meeting, they failed to honour sections of an initial court order.
- Former police officer charged for Caiphus Nyouka's murder suffers heart attackon 6th Feb 2023 at 10:44 am
Abram Engelbrecht, one of three charged, was set to appear in court on Monday but the case was postponed to 17 April after the High Court in Benoni heard that he was apparently recovering in hospital.
- PICS: Balule Nature Reserve warden's car smashed by marula-loving elephantson 6th Feb 2023 at 10:36 am
Motorists ignoring Balule Nature Reserve rangers blocking the road to get the elephants to safety forced a warden to draw a charge - at the expense of his vehicle.
- Western Cape firefighters battle Slanghoek Valley blazeon 6th Feb 2023 at 10:15 am
The blaze was being fuelled by high density mixed vegetation and very old Proteas and Blue Gums.
- 'He is paranoid': EFF on Ramaphosa's reaction to David Mabuza resignationon 6th Feb 2023 at 10:07 am
The EFF questioned the status of the office in charge of government business and whether it could conduct its tasks efficiently as both the president and his deputy contradict one another publicly about Mabuza's exit.
- Bafana Bafana, Orlando Pirates legend John Moeti dieson 6th Feb 2023 at 9:36 am
The soccer legend was part of Clive Barker's squad that won the 1996 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON).
- Stellenbosch FC's Oshwin Andries remembered as a gifted rising staron 6th Feb 2023 at 9:26 am
The 19-year-old football player, who died on Saturday night, was allegedly readmitted to hospital on the same day, after recently suffering from a stab wound.
- Several areas in Joburg south without power after fire at Lotus Substationon 6th Feb 2023 at 8:50 am
Areas affected by Sunday night's fire at the substation include Vlakfontein and Hospital Hill.
- Manenberg residents urged to report 'heartless gangsters' who killed teenon 6th Feb 2023 at 8:26 am
Another child, aged five, was wounded in the same shooting on Saturday morning.
- ANC KZN warns officials not to ask for bribes in exchange for public serviceson 6th Feb 2023 at 8:05 am
Provincial chairperson Siboniso Duma addressed ANC supporters at the party's 111th anniversary provincial celebrations in Hammarsdale, Durban at the weekend.
- Pupils to get psychosocial support after intruder is shot dead at Kagiso schoolon 6th Feb 2023 at 7:45 am
Pupils were sent home early on Friday after a 22-year-old man was killed after holding teachers hostage, the Gauteng Department of Basic Education said.