South African Business News
South African Business News
- The week that was: No bail for Phala Phala 'mastermind', Hey Neighbour kicks offon 8th Dec 2023 at 8:25 pm
The Eyewitness News bulletin with Jane Dutton.
- Process to move over 2,000 families from Cape Town's central line beginson 8th Dec 2023 at 7:48 pm
Approximately 10 families living by the central railway line, which has been not operational since 2019, were moved to a location about one kilometre from the Philippi train station.
- GP Health Dept unveils memorial wall for 12 nurses who died in Boksburg blaston 8th Dec 2023 at 7:14 pm
The nurses were among 41 people who died on Christmas Eve after a gas tanker exploded in Boksburg near the Tambo Memorial Hospital, forever marring the meaning of the 'festive season' for their loved ones.
- Kulelisonto: Uyenqatshelwe ibheyili ubhongoza wePhala Phalaon 8th Dec 2023 at 7:01 pm
Izindaba ze Eyewitness News no Kwazi Kwaza.
- As many as 60 people injured in Mpumalanga bus crash, confirm paramedicson 8th Dec 2023 at 6:52 pm
Emer-G-Med paramedics and other services are on the scene where a bus careened down a cliff side while travelling on Long Tom Pass on Friday afternoon.
- Load shedding dropping to Stage 2 on Sat, suspended on Sun – Eskomon 8th Dec 2023 at 6:29 pm
The lower load shedding stages for the upcoming weekend are due to an increase in available generation capacity and a lower weekend demand, the utility said.
- Gold One mine hostage: What happens underground, stays undergroundon 8th Dec 2023 at 5:19 pm
The Gold One Modder East operation in Springs has been struck by trouble again as a second hostage drama grips the mine. It's a waiting game, while not much is known about what's happening underground.
- Collision claims 4 lives in the Eastern Capeon 8th Dec 2023 at 4:26 pm
The collision between a minibus taxi, destined for Mossel Bay, and a truck brings the death toll on Eastern Cape roads to 18 since 1 December.
- PRASA hopes to revive long-distance trains trips amid cable thefton 8th Dec 2023 at 4:20 pm
The Shosholoza Meyl service disappointed passengers travelling from Johannesburg to Cape Town as it left them stranded due to the theft of overhead cables in the Western Cape.
- Cabinet approves next phase of NSFAS funding model for the 'missing middle'on 8th Dec 2023 at 3:54 pm
However, Higher Education and Training Minister Blade Nzimande said a comprehensive funding model will take up to 10 years to formulate.
- Boksburg blast almost a year on: Not much change, health workers to be honouredon 8th Dec 2023 at 2:48 pm
On Christmas Eve last year - a gas tanker wedged beneath a bridge near the tambo memorial hospital exploded - killing 41 people including 12 healthcare workers.
- Alleged Phala Phala burglary mastermind Imanuwela David denied bailon 8th Dec 2023 at 2:45 pm
It was ruled in court on Friday that David, who stands accused of the burglary alongside two others, was dishonest while he gave testimony in his bail application, and that it was likely he'd evade trial if released.
- Residents call for swift solution to ongoing water crisis in parts of Joburgon 8th Dec 2023 at 2:12 pm
Several areas including Sandton, Alexandra, and Midrand entered their third day with water shortages on Friday.
- Higher Edu Dept 'looking positively' to 2024, NSFAS systems upgrade underwayon 8th Dec 2023 at 2:05 pm
The department's Director General Dr Nkosinathi Sishi said system challenges at the National Student Financial Aid Scheme have been addressed through additional funding, with R119 million already injected into the upgrades.
- Senior Eskom execs backing Dan Marokane for CEO jobon 8th Dec 2023 at 1:20 pm
Several sources within Eskom, including executives, have told Eyewitness News that Marokane is without a doubt a suitable candidate to head the embattled SOE.
- AMCU distances itself from latest Gold One Modder East Mine sit-inon 8th Dec 2023 at 12:45 pm
Close to 500 workers are stuck underground at the mine in Springs in what is believed to be another hostage situation.
- Thousands expected in Cape Town for SVNS partyon 8th Dec 2023 at 12:21 pm
About 50,000 people are expected at the DHL Stadium daily on Saturday and Sunday.
- Fresh hostage drama unfolding at Gold One Modder East mineon 8th Dec 2023 at 11:28 am
Tensions ran high at the gold mine almost two months ago when a turf war between rival unions NUM and AMCU saw hundreds of workers stuck underground for three days.
- KZN hijackers take state car with child in it, dump her outside SocDev officeon 8th Dec 2023 at 11:05 am
The incident occurred in KwaMaphumulo in northern KZN, when armed men hijacked a state vehicle in which a social worker had been in the company of the little girl.
- Hawks confiscate fake Lego worth nearly R1m at Oriental Cityon 8th Dec 2023 at 10:55 am
Two thousand one hundred units of fake Lego products were confiscated during an operation on Thursday.
- Duo appear in Kimberley District Court on human trafficking chargeson 8th Dec 2023 at 10:24 am
The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said during their arrest, the two suspects refuted claims that they were trafficking the children and claimed to be taking them to their parents in Cape Town.
- Rand Water increases capacity to assist municipal customerson 8th Dec 2023 at 10:17 am
On Thursday night, Joburg Water was forced to completely close off or throttle 90% supply of water at seven of its reservoirs due to concerning low levels.
- Crime Intelligence welcomes new intelligence bill under consideration by Parlyon 8th Dec 2023 at 9:47 am
The police's Crime Intelligence division has welcomed a new intelligence bill under consideration by Parliament, saying it will enhance its capabilities.
- Dan Marokane tipped for Eskom CEO positionon 8th Dec 2023 at 9:26 am
The South African Forestry Company (SAFCOL) CEO previously held positions within the group executives and group capital departments at the ailing power utility.
- Treasury's move to cut NSFAS funding described as an attack on poor studentson 8th Dec 2023 at 8:52 am
The Higher Education Department recently announced Treasury's decision, which has left thousands anxious about not receiving money to study In the coming year.
- Alleged Phala Phala burglary mastermind expected to learn bail fate on Fridayon 8th Dec 2023 at 8:38 am
The state said it cannot verify his permanent residence and the investigating officer - Ludi Schnelle said David goes in out of the country willy-nilly.
- Police arrest 3 suspects linked to shooting in botched Morningside robberyon 8th Dec 2023 at 8:24 am
The trio was handcuffed on Thursday night, hours after the attack outside the man's home on Coleraine Drive.
- Hawks looking to make more arrests in Phala Phala burglary caseon 8th Dec 2023 at 7:21 am
The matter is currently before the Bela Bela Magistrates Court in Limpopo.
- Police probing case of attempted murder after Morningside shootingon 8th Dec 2023 at 7:09 am
Eyewitness News reported that a male victim was shot twice when armed men opened fire on his vehicle, in what is believed to have been a botched robbery.
- Road to recovery from state capture 'torturous' & 'full of potholes' - Gordhanon 8th Dec 2023 at 6:51 am
Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan on Thursday briefed the National Council of Province (NCOP)'s Select Committee on Public Enterprises and Communications on progress made in implementing the Zondo Commission recommendations.
- Joburg Water battling with supply as demand rises, reservoir levels dwindleon 8th Dec 2023 at 6:31 am
Joburg Water said it continues to see a high water demand which is currently exceeding supply.
- SASSA gold cards not expiring in December, says Postbankon 8th Dec 2023 at 6:24 am
This follows rumours doing the rounds that the SASSA cards are expiring this December and beneficiaries will not be paid their social grants.
- The day that was: Shot man critical, 'police' shoot Phala Phala mastermindon 7th Dec 2023 at 9:32 pm
The Eyewitness News bulletin with Jane Dutton.
- Kwezanamuhla: UMsimang uxoshwe yinkohlakalo kwi-ANCon 7th Dec 2023 at 7:50 pm
Izindaba ze Eyewitness News no Kwazi Kwaza.
- Dark cloud of unsavoury involvement in high-profile cases hangs over SANDFon 7th Dec 2023 at 7:36 pm
This is despite the South African National Defence Force refuting the existence of a death squad operating within its ranks. The force was initially linked to the high-profile kidnapping of an alleged Islamic State financier.
- State opposes bail for alleged Phala Phala farm robbery mastermindon 7th Dec 2023 at 7:24 pm
Investigating officer Ludi Schnelle said Imanuweli David had given police officers three addresses in Cape Town, Rustenburg and Bela Bela but none could be verified. Judgement on David's bid for bail is expected on Friday.
- R200k reward for info on killing of DA uMngeni municipality chief whipon 7th Dec 2023 at 5:31 pm
Nhlalayenza Ndlovu, who is the party's chief whip in the uMngeni Local Municipality, was fatally shot at his home on the evening of 05 December 2023.
- Phala Phala burglary-accused allegedly paid $30,000 to be driven to Kempton Parkon 7th Dec 2023 at 4:24 pm
It was revealed in court on Thursday that one of the Phala Phala burglary-accused allegedly paid a driver $30,000 in cash to transport him from Bela Bela in Limpopo to Kempton Park in Joburg's East Rand.
- Parts of Joburg with no water or dwindling supply due to demand uptickon 7th Dec 2023 at 3:41 pm
Joburg Water said its reservoirs are struggling to maintain capacity as there is more demand than anticipated because of the heatwave in recent days.
- Recovery from extent of state capture damage won't happen overnight - Gordhanon 7th Dec 2023 at 3:33 pm
Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan said state capture - which happened over several years - had caused a lot of “value chain damage”.
- Deportation of Usindiso building illegal migrants poses threat to inqury: Courton 7th Dec 2023 at 2:45 pm
The Johannesburg High Court said while it understands that the 32 foreign nationals are in the country illegally, they're essential role players and potential witnesses in the inquiry into the fire.
- Sandton man critical after sustaining injuries in suspected botched robberyon 7th Dec 2023 at 2:28 pm
Sources close to the investigation have confirmed to Eyewitness News that suspects opened fire on the victim and his wife, who were seated in their vehicle and about to enter their premises.
- HASA disappointed with passing of NHI Bill, citing disregard for its proposalson 7th Dec 2023 at 2:25 pm
The bill was passed by the National Council of Provinces on Wednesday without any amendments made to the version passed by the National Assembly in June, despite another round of public consultation.
- Mining labour unrest hits Wesizwe's Bakubung Platinum Mineon 7th Dec 2023 at 1:44 pm
An estimated 250 workers affiliated with NUM are allegedly refusing to resurface from a shaft at the mine. They're believed to be disgruntled over wage negotiations and retrenchments at the mine.
- SANDF refutes claims of torture squads in army carrying out criminal activitieson 7th Dec 2023 at 1:00 pm
Last week, Open Secrets made claims it uncovered acts of torture, kidnapping and murders that were allegedly carried out by SANDF members dating back to 2019.
- Phala Phala burglary accused claims he was shot at twice by 'police'on 7th Dec 2023 at 12:46 pm
Investigating officer, Ludi Schnelle, on Thursday testified that Imanuwela David told him he was shot in 2022 while at a hotel in Richards Bay as he attempted to flee the country in fear for his safety.
- kykNET presenter, 2 others appear in court over fraud amounting to millionson 7th Dec 2023 at 12:25 pm
Henriette and Andries Marx made their first appearance before the court on Thursday. They're facing charges including theft, fraud and money laundering alongside five other individuals and entities.
- Court interdicts Home Affairs from deporting Usindiso building illegal migrantson 7th Dec 2023 at 11:17 am
Thirty-two undocumented foreign nationals have been detained at the Lindela Repatriation Centre in Krugersdorp, pending the department's bid to have them returned to their countries.
- After losing over 50 family members in Gaza, GOTG team member's stepdad killedon 7th Dec 2023 at 10:44 am
The woman, who has been sharing stories depicting the experiences of her family in Gaza, returned to South Africa just days before the ongoing war between Israel and Hamas began.
- Phala Phala burglary accused says he's not a flight risk, cooperated in caseon 7th Dec 2023 at 9:03 am
Accused number one, Imanuwela David, appeared at the Bela Bela Magistrates Court in Limpopo for his formal bail application.